Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

    Out of Iraq, into New Orleans!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Military Theme Park does not tickle Fairfax County authorities

Please tell me that this is a farce and that even a Government under Dubya would not stoop this low. But then you will be wrong. It would make me feel better, but would still be wrong. Folks are not gonna believe this. But David "The Critter" Vitter, Republican Sin-ator from Louisiana put the item in the "No Child Left Behind" to make school districts give info on students for the military. Never telling anyone that they had a so called opt-out chance.

Well this is even more bizzare than that!! The U.S Army wants to build a theme park! So one question? Where do you expect to get the money for this said project? Shall more soldiers go without armor? Less for the Corps of Engineers? Or maybe another tax cut for the uber rich!! The last time I checked, I had to write a post on how Fort Sam Houston could not pay the electrical bill. Have you people lost your freaking minds?

The Army is considering a proposal to allow a private developer to build a military theme park that would include "4D" rides and bars including a "1st Division Lounge," local officials said.

The massive entertainment and hotel complex next to a national Army museum could draw more than 1 million people a year but Fairfax County authorities are objecting because of already traffic-clogged roads surrounding the proposed site.

Universal City Property Management III, of Orlando, Fla., submitted the unsolicited proposal for the theme park last year.

"You can command the latest M-1 tank, feel the rush of a paratrooper freefall, fly a Cobra Gunship or defend your B-17 as a waist gunner," according to the proposal, which was obtained by The Washington Post.


The rest of the story is here.

5 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

I read it with the same disbelief that you did. WTF? flashed across my mind.

Did you know that the army also sponsors a NASCAR car in the races? Well, they do. It costs millions to sponsor one of those cars and I wonder who pays for it? Which part of their budget does that money come from.

DivaJood said...

You've got to be freaking kidding me! I missed that one, and I am absolutely appalled - they cut Veteren's benefits, they force troops to go begging for necessary supplies, but they want to build a THEME PARK?

Does this not fall into the definition of obscene?

Chuck said...

Unbelievable, but really, nothing surprises me any more.

Hey- thanks for the link btw. I moved you up into my reciprocating section. Appreciate it!

Donnie McDaniel said...

Hey Chuck,

Nice to see you here. I have not been back to your sight in a couple of days or so, but I go on days off tonight when I get off at midnight. I will have some time to get back to everyone.

MasterGunner said...

Ummm...

I guess you missed the whole "Private Developer" blurb in the article.

You probably also just passed over the whole "Unsolicited Proposal" part of the article, as well.

I say "Go for it!"

Why not? All the US Military would really be doing is licensing the use of the "US Military" theme, which isn't copyrighted, if I am not mistaken. The only thing that would "cost" anything, would be moving the museum to the new location. However, you don't know if this was already in the works. You don't know if the Army had already been planning to move the facility somewhere else, and was shopping around.

Especially in Virginia - home of thousands upon thousands of military retirees, most military-related public facilities (like museums)are a boon to the local economy.

Maybe a "military theme park" isn't the right idea. But Don't hold it against the US military: we didn't think it up. As your source points out: it was an unsolicited request.

Please quit bashing the US Military. We're doing the best we can.

Another thing: I am sick and tired of the whole "not enough armor" rant. Take it from someone who has been there: we have armor. We have Body Armor. We have Vehicle Armor. We have Tanks. We have Brads.

The only thing we lack, to complete our mission, is the support of the American people, and the Mainstream Media.

Articles like this one, which stir up old attacks from the Left on the conduct of the Iraq War, don't help.

Just my two cents.